How To Program the Little Black Comcast Remote
I thought I would start out with this tutorial. I know that it is not for computers, but it is the most recent question I have been asked and the most popular. Now, be aware that these instructions are not for the standard silver remote that comes with your cable box. They are for black remote that comes with the DTA box.
If you need instructions on how to program the silver remote you can find those here:
If you subscribe to Comcast for your cable service, you may be familiar with their upgrade that no longer allows you to hook directly to a TV. Instead, you have to use a little black box that is provided by Comcast.
This box comes with a little black remote control that can be programmed to operate your TV so you don’t have to use two separate remote controls.
I have had a lot of friends and family ask me to help them program their remotes, so I decided to write this article to offer a nice easy-to-follow guide for others who may want to program their remotes as well.
1Before starting, make sure that the little black box is hooked up correctly and you have a picture on your TV.
2Start by turning your TV on.
3Press and hold the small white button labeled “Set” until the red light flashes twice.
4Press the numbers 9-9-1 and you will see the red light flash two more times.
5Start pressing the channel “+” button at a medium speed (not too fast!!!).
6When your TV turns off. STOP pressing the “+” button.
7Press the “Set” button once and you should see the red light flash twice.
8Your remote will now turn your TV on/off, change channels and control the volume.
That’s it. I hope that was easy to follow and hopefully your table is less cluttered by remotes! Did this help you? Please feel free to provide any comments.
On a side note, sometimes this auto program method does not work with some TV models. If that is the case, please leave a comment or use the contact page to send a message and I will help you track down a code that will work!
1. Depending on your TV make and model, it may take a while for the remote to cycle through all the built in codes and actually find the one that works. This can take a while and little patience.
2. If you have given several attempts using the 9-9-1 method and your TV still won’t turn off. Then you will need to program it manually using a code.
In some instances, after auto-programming your TV will now turn on and off. But the channels have stopped working. I’m not sure why this happens, but if this is the case, try the following:
1. Hold the Set button until the red light flashes twice.
2. Enter code 9-9-3. The red light should flash two more times.
3. Press 1. The red light should flash four times.
4. Now, you should On/Off and Channel functions.