Programming A Comcast Remote – Part 2
How To Program the Silver Comcast Remote
I recently wrote a tutorial on how to program the Comcast remote that comes with the little black box that was required after Comcast upgraded their system. If that is the remote you need to program you can find the instructions for that remote here:
This is the silver remote that comes standard with all Comcast boxes.
This remote can be used to remote control your TV as well as your cable box. It can also be programmed for one other device for a total of three. It is designed to serve as a universal remote so that you only need one. There are two methods to program the remote. The first is to automatically search for the correct code and the second is to manually program the remote using manufacturer’s codes. Both methods are explained below.
Auto Program Method:
1. Turn on your TV.
2. On the silver remote, press the TV button once. This button is located at the very top of the remote.
If you are trying to set up a device on the Auxiliary channel, such as a DVD or VCR player, then press the “Aux” button instead of the “TV” button.
3. Then press and hold the “Setup” button until the “TV” button flashes twice. Then release the “Setup” button.
4. Enter the following digits: 991. You should see the TV button flash twice.
5. If you are searching for a DVD or VCR code enter the digits 992 and you should see the Aux button flash twice.
6. Press the “Power” button once. Then aim the remote and the TV and start pressing the “CH +” button at a medium pace until the TV turns off. (Don’t press it too fast!!!) There have been times when I was in a hurry and was pressing the key too fast. What happened is that I couldn’t react in time when the TV turned off and actually hit the key a couple more times. This ended up giving me the wrong code and I had to start all over again. So, I know it seems to take a while sometimes, but it’s better to go at a medium pace so that you get it right the first time!
7. Once the TV turns off, press the “Setup” button once to lock in the code. You should see the “TV” button flash twice.
Manual Program Method:
1. Turn your TV or device on.
2. On the Comcast remote, press the “TV” key once. If you are trying to program a DVD player or other device press the “Aux” key instead.
3. Press and hold the “Setup” key until the “TV” key (or Aux key) blinks twice and then release the “Setup” key.
4. Find the codes for your TV. They are listed on the back of the instructions that came with your remote. If you don’t have this list, I have posted it here on this site:
The codes for Audio Amplifiers is located here:
The codes for DVD Players is located here:
5. Once you have found the code(s) for your device write them down for the next step.
6. If there is more than one code listed start with the first one and enter the 5-digit code. If you do this step correctly you will see the “TV” key blink twice. If you do this step incorrectly you will see the “TV” key display one long blink. If this happens you will have to start over from Step 2.
7. Aim the remote control and your TV and press the “Power” button once. If this is the correct code, your TV will shut off. If it doesn’t then repeat steps 2 thru 6 using the next code in line.
Your silver Comcast remote should now be able to control the power, volume and channels on your TV and you can hide the remote that came with your TV. One thing to keep in mind, is that when you hit the “All On” button you have to leave the remote aimed at the TV and cable box for a few seconds in order for it to turn off each device. You will see each device button light up as the remote turns this device on or off. For example, when you hit the “All On” button you should see the TV button light up and then the TV turn on, then you will see the Cable button light up and then the cable box turn on and so forth. I hope that you have found this information useful. If so, please feel free to leave comments.